Thursday, July 3, 2008

Insomniac Epiphany

So, last night I had a dream that I was back in Utah and all I wanted to do was visit the kids I used to teach. I ran all over the place looking for them and when I finally found them I was overjoyed. They were growing so quickly and looked so happy.
Then I woke up and got to thinking about my teaching experiences in Utah. Those 2 years were some of the best of my life so far. I had a really fulfilling job, a new husband, and great friends at work and church. There were difficult days, but I was blessed. Now I miss teaching children to read and hearing the phrase, "teacher, teacher look at this!" I really miss the bear hugs, little gifts (like rocks from the playground and artwork made during free time), and mischievous grins-- I even miss the boys who would rough house during indoor recess and sit in the bathroom sinks during class.
But, life is full of stages and that was a different stage of my life. Looking back on it, I don't think that I enjoyed it as much as I should have. I was in a hurry to be a grownup. I wanted Brandon to be done with school (so that we could have more time together), a home of our own, a dog, and a baby. I wanted to know where life was taking us. Now that we're here, am I enjoying this stage as much as I should? Before I know it this stage will pass me by as well. I guess what I'm trying to say is, live and enjoy your now-- whatever stage it might be. It is only coming around once-- seize it while it's here. The past is past and the future is unknown. If you spend too much time reminiscing about the past or worrying and dreaming about the future you'll miss out on the present. So, here's to seizing the day and "ah-ha moments" that happen while you should be sleeping!

6 comments:

Lesley said...

Amen! That is a lesson I have had to learn over and over. Very well said, Jenn!

Meg said...

Jenn it is fun to have your blog to look at. I am glad things in Texas are going well and that you are now retired! Cute house by the way.

Wendy and Neal said...

Couldn't have said it better myself! There's not enough time in this life to spend it living in the past. I think once we all come around to realizing that, life tastes so much sweeter!

Beehive State Builders said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beehive State Builders said...

Hi! Forgive me, I was 'blog-stalking' and ran across your blog from someone else's. It's been awhile, so I thought I'd say 'hi'! Looks like you're doing well, cute pictures! And yes, this stage will pass too quickly, as well. I feel that way with my kids all of the time, I look forward to the 'life will be easier when...' that never seems to come and I miss all of the wonderful things that happen now. Good for you for recognizing that! By the way, this is Mandy Hunsaker :)

Cher said...

Cutie pie Jenn! I love you and hope that you are doing well! You are so right about the enjoying life thing! It is a great reminder! Thanks!