Sunday, December 30, 2012

When Christmas Comes Around



Brandon jokes that Christmas lasts longer and longer each year, because we spend so many days celebrating.  Usually, we spend Christmas Eve with his family, Christmas day at our home, and the 26th with my siblings.  Well, this year to accommodate my sister-in-law's rotating schedule we moved up our traditional Christmas Eve celebration to December 23; which meant that we had an extra day of Christmas festivities. Here's the run down of how we partied for four days straight:

Christmas Eve Eve (Dec 23):
After a nice worshipful service at church we took afternoon naps and headed over to my in-laws for dinner, games, and the traditional reenactment of the Christmas story. 
Little Mary
Little Joseph
Wyatt with Uncle Chris and Aunt Alyssa
 Baby Peityn was Jesus, Ruby was Mary, and Wyatt was Joseph.  I was a donkey (per Ruby's suggestion) and Brandon was a wise man.  Wyatt spent most of the time trying to remove his costume and Ruby was more interested in feeding me hay than watching over her baby.

Christmas Eve:

I had originally planned to work out in the morning, but wasn't feeling well; so we spent the day around the house taking it easy.  In the afternoon the kids helped me make sugar cookies-- err a giant mess in the kitchen (it was fun, though) and then we watched The Polar Express, played a game about the animals and people associated with the first Christmas, and read our scriptures before turning in for the night.

Ruby was sooooo excited about Santa that she had a hard time falling asleep.  She had an elaborate plan to spy him from her window and then jump into bed and pretend to be asleep so that she could get a glimpse of him and his reindeer.  At one point she came into my room (where I was putting away laundry) and told me that she had a "teeny problem."  Apparently, Santa hadn't come yet because Brandon and I were still up and Santa only visits when you're sleeping.  I told her that I had a few chores to do and that as soon as I finished them I'd go to bed so that Santa would come.  She later told me that I took too long to finish my chores and Santa ended up coming after she fell asleep.  No glimpse for Ruby this year...

Christmas Day:
Santa left Ruby the doll house of her dreams and Wyatt a workbench (and of course, the fast car that his sister requested for him). 
Going for a spin in Wyatt's wagon
Wyatt, Grandma Dona, and Molly
playing with her new favorite toy
Little man loves his workshop
He also loves the sippy cups Santa put in his sock.
The doll house is pretty amazing.  You can really tell that the elves put in lots of hours and thought into making it perfect.  

nursery

living room- kitchen was a present from Papa Gary that we later added
dance studio-- complete with pictures of Ruby and Brooke dancing
Front door
mudroom/entry

Bedroom
Their workmanship leaves a little something to be desired, but the vision is quite extraordinary.  It has a dance studio, nursery, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, living room, and mudroom.
trying out the new sled

4 generations
My mom and grandma joined us in the morning for breakfast.  In the afternoon we went sledding, skyped with my dad, and rested.  In the evening we enjoyed our traditional Italian feast.  This year we had Grandma's famous meat sauce and my browned butter and mizithera cheese sauce.  Divine!

Playing Scum with the Linford crew
The Linfords came over for dessert, presents, and games.  Did I mention that I beat Chris, Chelsea, and Russell at Settlers?  Gotta document that since it rarely happens... By the time we turned in we went to bed we were happy and exhausted.

Angry elves because I won settlers.
Post Christmas (Dec 26):
My siblings spent most of the previous night driving up from California, so we postponed our usual festivities until the afternoon.  When we got there after nap time we exchanged presents and had a big family dinner.  Sadly, I didn't take many pictures...
Uncle Nick
Lynsie-- my niece-- growing up way too quickly!
After dinner I convinced everyone to play Scum, and shockingly my mom whooped us! lol But, honestly, it was just nice to visit and laugh with everyone.  They are all such fun people and I feel blessed that we can have such a great time together.  I just wish it hadn't taken us years to get to this point...

1 comments:

Jamie and Ben said...

Why is it the only time I miss Utah is when I look at your blog? So many fun things to do and its 's much prettier than Chicago... ugh.
Your dollhouse looked fantastic and you guys celebrate Christmas well. Like I just want to come to your house for the holidays and have you entertain me.