Thursday, February 14, 2013

Reoccurring Dream

Lately I've been dreaming about returning to teaching.  Like, a lot.  Sometimes a few times a week.  It's weird, because when I was teaching in the public schools I loved my job about 80% of the time.  When I quit just 3 years into my career I was burnt out and didn't know if I'd ever want to return to the profession.  In fact, for years I've frequently thought about what type of career change I'd like to make when my kids got older and didn't need me around as much.  I could never settle on anything, though.  And as I've spent time raising my kids and teaching the children in primary at church I've come to realize that teaching is my "calling."  I truly love it.  Teaching makes my soul feel good and I recognize that now--it has just taken me a few years to get to that point.  With age comes self discovery (and grey hairs, dang it!)
Here's what I miss about teaching: the creative and organizational parts, watching a child understand something and make a connection or discovery, planning, playing, and I especially miss those sticky hands and goofy smiles.  I don't miss the long meetings, the testing pressure, the late nights grading papers, and teacher gossip/drama. Nor do I miss the stigma (It's women's work. It's the only thing we encourage girls to do.  It's an easy job.  blah, blah, blah...)
So.... why am I writing all of this down?  Well, I kind of had an "ah-ha" moment.  I think I'd like to get back into the profession by starting a small home preschool program.  It would be a way to fulfill my inner need to teach and still have the flexibility of being a stay-at-home-mom (which has always been my number one dream).  I could arrange my schedule in such a way that I'd still be available to volunteer in my children's classrooms, be home when they get home from school, be around to drive them to after school activities, have time for the gym (which is key to my sanity), and running errands.
I'm thinking that I'd start out with a co-op program to test the waters and when I feel ready and am able to make a bigger commitment start my own neighborhood program slowly.  The first year I'd probably just do a 2 day a week program and then the second year I'd add in a 3 day a week program or second 2 day a week program.
I'm still working out the details, but the more I think about it the more excited I get.  I think I'm on to something good here...

2 comments:

Wendy and Neal said...

This makes me want to move to Utah specifically so you can be my daughter's preschool teacher! I think this is a great idea. Our little children need women just like you (intelligent, nurturing, loving, organized, beautiful...) teaching them! I've searched high and low in my area for the "right" preschool to start Mckenzi in, and none feel good. Not at all. I've settled out of sheer desperation, because Mckenzi NEEDS to be in preschool. And I mean that completely for her, not for me. I've kept her home too long, I think. Anyway, I just wish I knew someone like you in my area that I could trust so whole heartedly. I know you'll be successful. I'm green with envy of the mom's that get to have you for their babes.

Brandon and Jenn said...

Ahh, Wendy, thanks! You are so sweet! I wished that you lived closer, too. I would love to teach McKenzi and I would love to hang out with you guys (like, all the time). Sadly, I don't think I'm going to be able to teach this year anyway. I can't find people to do a co-op with and it's a little late to start my own preschool program for next year (enrollment starts now and I don't have a business license or background check or cpr certification). I haven't given up on the dream, yet though. I'm hoping to give a try in the next few years (probably after I have 1 more baby).