Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Another Catch Up Post

Let's catch up, shall we?  It's been a busy few weeks.  Here's how we've been passing the time (caution, this is another LONG post):

Catching Up with Old Friends:



Just a few days after we got back from our long road trip our best friends came to town (from Newfoundland), so we could hardly pass up the opportunity to hang out and catch up with their cute crew.  We met up with them at BYU and had a scrumptious dinner at the Cougar Eat (lol) and then took our kids downstairs to the game center and introduced them to bowling.



Ruby and Wyatt LOVED it-- especially when they got to send the ball down the slide.  While they played we got to catch up with Scott and Lesley-- who are as amazing as ever.  Above all, I'm glad my kids reconnected with the Larson kids again.  It is my ultimate goal to get at least one of our kids to make a love connection 20 or so years from now with one of theirs.  :)

The following week we got another chance to catch up with some great friends who also used to live in Houston-- The VanDukers.  For the past 2 plus years they've actually been living in Papa New Guinea, so we had lots and lots to chat about.  They are currently living about 2 miles from us!  Hopefully we'll get another chance to hang out before they relocate to California next month.  Ruby doesn't remember the boys much, but I do-- and they are as sweet as ever.  Ruby and Eli were born just a week a part.  Cameo and I used to go for walks together hoping to induce labor.  We did a crazy amount of play dates together before we left Texas, but I guess the first 20 months of life is most memorable for Mom and Dad...



Playing with Cousin Lynsie


My niece was in town for a good week and a half, which gave the kids lots of time to play with their oldest cousin.



We went to the farm, had family dinners together, schooled her at the wii, played at Cowabunga Bay, swam at the Treehouse Pool, and even went to a matinee together.  She is lots of fun and my kiddos sure adore her.




When she comes to visit it's one of our summer highlights.

Blue Bird Cafe


Hands down, it's my favorite date night of the year.  Brandon and I have gone for the last 3 years and will, hopefully, never miss it.  For those who aren't familiar with it, it's an acoustic concert held at the Sundance ski resort outdoor amphitheater   The Blue Bird Cafe in Nashville flys 3 songwriters out to perform their hits and explain the stories behind them.  I love, love, love it!  This year we got there early enough to ride the ski lift and have dinner.  Delightful!

Linford Cabin

My in-laws bought a cabin in Heber just last month, so we thought that we'd head up there and check it out. The kids had a great time going for nature walks and hanging out with Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt Brooke, and Uncle Chris.




 I loved the peacefulness of the mountains and the little trail run I was able to squeeze in.  We also  might have gotten the family hooked on Mexican Train (a variation of dominos) while we were visiting...  

Alyssa's Bridal Shower




I hosted a bridal shower for my sister-in-law just last week and, because I can't help myself, I might have gone a little overboard.  The theme was "love is sweet" and I may, or may not, have an incredible amount of candy left over-- even after I tried to give lots of it away!




 But the party was lots of fun.  We had a great time visiting, chowing down on dessert fondu, and trying our best to embarrass her before her big day.

Big Boy Bed


Just a few days ago Wyatt (2.5 years old) climbed out of his crib.  It happened twice in one night, and then it never stopped.  The next morning he let himself out of his crib and found his way into Ruby's room. Then at 2 am he appeared in the hallway crying-- and just like that we knew it was time for his big boy bed.  We picked it up 2 nights ago and, although I mentally prepared myself for a good two weeks of night time training, he is taking to it very quickly.  The first few nights/naps were tricky-- so much freedom!  So hard to sleep!  But, last night and tonight have been great.  I tried to make his new routine as similar to his old one and as long as I leave his door open he happily stays in bed.  Whew!  Let's hope this keeps going this smoothly...

Itty Bitty Model


Last month Ruby did some modeling for a local dress up company.  They recently called and asked if she could come back and do another photo shoot.  She, of course, was really excited about the opportunity.  This time she mainly modeled tutus, but she did get to also model a princess Belle dress up.  The first set of pictures were earmarked for packaging.  These will be used for print and website catalogs.  I got copies of the first photo session, so maybe I'll get copies of the second, too.  At any rate, she had lots of fun and was more than thrilled to get compensated with a $50 credit to their catalog (apparently she thinks it's impossible to have too many dress ups. lol).

0 comments: