Saturday, February 9, 2008

They’re liars—all of them!

Don’t trust anyone on HGTV who says, “It’s easy. You can do this at home.” They all make decorating look so easy, but I’m on to them. A few weeks ago I saw Vern Yip mount rod iron pieces in a bathroom just above the tub. It looked so romantic and I thought it was something I was capable of doing.

Well, earlier this evening I gave it a go. After at least an hour of trying to properly measure, line up, arrange, and mount four square pieces of rod iron on my bathroom wall all I ended up with were nine giant holes (I was trying to use drywall anchors) and a project that doesn’t even remotely resemble Mr. Yip’s masterpiece.

It is apparent that the domestic goddess gene ended with my mother. She can do anything- design, decorate, refurbish, sew, quilt, craft, garden, cook, etc. Now, more than ever I wish that I’d paid more attention to her domestic ways when I was growing up. I guess I’ll have to take a crash course this summer. Until then Brandon has offered to take care of any future wall hangings. Maybe he’ll change his mind tomorrow after I give spackling a shot (or not)…

By the way, check back in a few days for pictures of my domestic disasters.

3 comments:

Lesley said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I ghost-wrote a speech for my mother to give at an interior design convention called "The Lies HGTV Sells". Although I think Vern is typically an exception to this, all of those shows exaggerate at least in the time element of the project. So sneaky.

I can't wait to see pictures of the 'disaster'. Is that mean? I am really just curious.

Wendy and Neal said...

This is TOO funny. I can just see it so clearly! I tried doing some deco of my own - we not have exactly 54 drywall nails in our wall! (I did a collage of framed 4x6 pics from our wedding) Neal was like, "wow, honey. how....nice?" haha.

Coila said...

For what it's worth, spackling isn't too bad. I've done it and I'm not great, but it's not as hard as trying to hang something evenly.