Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I hate hurricane season!

When I moved to Houston I didn't realize that I'd spend so much time worrying about hurricanes. Yes, we are pretty far inland and we rarely get hit with majorly scary weather, but it is a possibility. Even if a storm comes to Houston and we don't get wind or flooding damage, living without power (for any extended amount of time) doesn't sound like fun.
Our plan for Ike is to wait out the storm (so far it looks far enough away). Once it passes, if we are without power we'll try to secure a hotel room somewhere nearby. We do have a 72 hour kit, flashlights, candles, and a small supply of food storage; but I'm as nervous as can be. Tomorrow I'll give the tubs a good scrub so that I can fill them with water (that way we don't have to use the good bottled water to clean dishes and cook).
Brandon keeps telling me to stop worrying about things I can't control. I'll admit, it's good unsolicited advice, but sometimes I can't help myself (blame part on my natural disposition to worry and part on the pregnancy)...

3 comments:

Coila said...

Our deliveries in Houston can't be made to do evacuations! Have you guys had to evacuate? Keep us all updated. The (only) nice thing about the last big storms is the government got so much grief after Katrina that they're really trying to watch these and evacuate people when they start getting too close. So you guys should be safe, but I hope it doesn't affect your home or neighborhood. :(

Alyssa said...

I hope you're both okay Jenn- keep us updated to let us know how you're faring! We love you and are concerned since you're so close to Houston. I sincerely hope that all is well!!

Cher said...

Jenn Jenn Jenn, I love you! You will be safe but this is definately scary times. I love you and can't wait to see some pics of preggy Jenn!