Saturday, January 11, 2014

Siiiiiiisters



When I was 12 my best friend was Kandace,  the granddaughter of our neighbor.  Whenever she visited her grandma we hung out, played Life, or went swimming.  Sometime during the beginning of 7th grade her family moved in with her grandma and we started to hang out even more.  By the end of the year we had made it official-- we bought heart shaped best friend necklaces, dressed alike, and decided that we were "soul sisters."  We even had a semi-secret handshake (touching the tips of our right index fingers together because we both had calluses on those fingers from holding our pencils incorrectly).  Yes, we were big time geeks.  When her grandma had to move we suggested that she stay with our family, so that she could finish out the school year.  Well, 2 weeks turned into the summer, the summer turned into the last year of middle school, which turned into high school, etc.  My best friend literally became my sister and I'm the luckiest girl in the world because of it!
Over the years we've had rough patches-- like all real sisters.  I used to be insanely jealous of her because she is literally good at everything and so ridiculously smart.  Then in college our paths diverged for a few years, but I always loved her.  We were bridesmaids at each other's weddings and saw each other over the holidays.
Now that we're older, live closer together, and both have young families we have a lot in common again.  Lately I've been able to spend lots of time with her and I have to say that I adore her more now than ever.  She is so fun to talk to and is an amazing mother.
I was glad that she spent some time with us over the holidays.  There is nothing like a sister's slumber party-- food, movies, chatting, and pjs ALL DAY LONG.  #gooditmes  We also got a girl's nigh out together.  That's right-- pedicures, shopping, and fries and a cake shake from Buffalo Wild Wings (Hey, we at least split that snack!)
Anyway, just wanted to take a minute to publicly brag about how cool she is and how much fun I had with her over the holidays this year.

0 comments: